Today I am extremely excited to share this awesome interview with you.
The reason behind my excitement is – I have got great success with the tool introduced by this person.
Yes !! I am talking about LongTailPro here. 🙂
He is the man who got the idea to make this revolutionary tool and helped thousands of internet marketers to harvest money-making keywords with just few clicks.
Later he introduced Niche Website Theme which has become one of the top most loved theme among internet marketers to run niche websites and authority blogs.
Let's welcome Spencer Haws here and know more about him.
I am feeling very privileged that he accepted my request and finally his interview is here.
Thanks for the opportunity!
2. Spencer you don’t need any introduction. But still, please introduce yourself so that we can know more about you.
Well, I run a blog on building niche websites and small business ideas over at NichePursuits.com. I also own the keyword research tool Long Tail Pro.
I started building niche websites several years ago and got pretty good at it. Good enough to quit my full-time job because I was making more money from my websites than my day job!
3. How you entered into blogging and how concept of niche blogging introduced to you?
I started building niche websites because I had failed at other projects, including trying to start a personal finance blog. As I learned more about SEO, I understood the importance of targeting low competition keywords…this led me to finding niche sites.
4. How many niche sites you are running till now and approximately how much money you are making with them.
I’ve built over 200 sites; but many of those no longer exist. I would say I have around 100 or so sites live now, with about 40 to 50 of those earning money.
5. Niche site vs Authority Site. Which is best and why? What are the pros and cons of both?
I wrote an entire blog post on this here: http://www.nichepursuits.com/should-i-build-large-or-small-taking-a-portfolio-approach-with-niche-sites/
In a nutshell, I recommend both, with the majority of your time and focus being on one or two larger sites.
6. SEO 6-7 years back and SEO today. What are the main differences you saw in these years? How this has changed and what is working now?
Google is now more focused on ranking quality content. Using automated link building does not work as effectively as it used to. If you can get real links from real websites, that’s the way to go.
7. You have launched one great tool “Long Tail Pro” which has become favorite of almost all internet marketers (including me). How the idea to make this tool came in your mind and how you converted this into reality?
I was disappointed with how slow other keyword research tools were. Also, I wanted to be able to search for multiple seed keywords at once, and finding exact match domains automatically.
I’m not a programmer at all, so I hired a developer off of Elance.com to make my idea become a reality.
8. What were the obstacles you faced which working on this tool?
The first programmer I hired did not work out. This was a huge deal, and I struggled for a while on how I would move forward. I ended up starting all over from scratch (after I had already paid one programmer), and found a different programmer. It was the best move I made!
The developer I have now is high quality, and the results show.
Keyword research is a big concept and every internet marketer explains it in his own way. According to you what are the things we should see while selecting best money-making keywords?
First you want to make sure the keyword has an acceptable level of search volume each month. (This depends on your goals, so everyone’s criteria will be different).
Then you want to look at the first page of Google and determine if the competition is weak. I look at:
Is the full keyword phrase in the title of the ranking pages?
I like to see multiple results with a Moz Page Authority of less than 30
I like to see multiple results with Juice Page links of less than 30
This is a great place to start.
Links are still important, but I would focus on building real links. This means contacting other bloggers and getting involved in your niche. Once you do and produce high quality content, the links will come.
If you are just looking to build a small niche site, that will be different; you may have to manually build links. I would never use automated links building tools though.
10. What are the factors which help us decide monetization model for any blog. Like how to select from AdSense, ClickBank, Amazon and other resources to monetize niche blog?
It's usually not that hard to figure out how to monetize. It really just depends on the niche. Once you’ve selected your niche you just need to test which method is the best way to monetize.
11. People keep talking about PageRank and all and everyone want high PR for his/her site. How important is to have PR for a site and how it help to boost SERP?
PageRank is not that important. It's still fun to look at to see if your PageRank goes up; but having a higher page rank does not mean you will rank higher in the search engines necessarily.
Does Alexa help in any way for SEO? Nope, I’ve never used Alexa…its not relevant for SEO.
12. What are your views about this interview series on Blogging Cage and how can I improve it more?
Interviews are a great way to get involved in any niche! By reaching out to others and making contact, you put yourself on the radar.
I don’t have specific recommendations for improvement. I always am seeking ways that I can do things better; so just always be thoughtful about what would make an interview better or a process more efficient.
13. Approximately in how much days we can rank a less competitive keyword and what are the steps to do it perfectly?
It all depends on the keyword. It could be a few weeks or it could be a few months.
14. Can old domains give us advantage in SEO? Means if we buy them as expired/dropped domains.
Many people use expired domains, but I don’t usually. I avoid them for the most part.
15. What's your success secret expressed in just one word?
16. Your future plans and projects?
I have a couple of bigger projects that I’m working on. Basically just a couple of larger website ideas that I will be spending the next couple of years on.
17. Message for my readers.
Thanks everyone for reading. If you want to learn more about me, check out my blog at NichePursuits.com