SEO (Search Engine Optimization) has too much importance to get targeted visitors on your blog.
Every blogger wants huge traffic on their blog and good ranking in Google SERP. Google have become so much unpredictable these days that following important the guidelines have become so much important for webmasters.
When Google launched the algorithms like Panda/Penguin updates they wanted to combat low quality blogs which had build wrong backlinks or had too much broken links on their blog.
Google is launching these updates to deliver quality at the end user. So if there is any 404 error at your blog, then this is wrong thing from the Google’s prospective.
When a user is accessing your blog’s url and if there is 404 error, you failed to deliver the content which he/she was looking.
So we must check our blog if there is any broken link present or not.
These are the sites to check your Broken links.
You can check your url here and see if there are some broken links at your blog.
How these broken links comes?
There are two main reasons for the broken links.
- Page/Post is no more existing at your blog.
- Link in your comments are not existing (Person who commented on your blog might have deleted his/her blog)
You can check all the broken links with the site mentioned above.
How to Remove Them?
Download Broken Link Checker Plugin from WordPress Repository.
Features of this plugin
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images and redirects.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
After installation of this plugin this will check the links on regular basis and notify you when there is any broken link on your blog.
You can do all setting of this plugin in Setting > Link Checker
Here is screenshot from my blog.
You can check you broken links from Tools > Broken Links
Select all the links and click unlink them.
Do the setting properly so that this plugin will scan your website accordingly.
Keep checking for broken links and always unlink them if there is any.
Final Words !!
Finally I would like to say that if you haven’t used this plugin then go and install this plugin to save your blog from Google penalty.
Share your thoughts in comments.
You can ask questions if there is any.